Replacing a fence, ideas on cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a rental property on a typical terraced street where the back garden is the same width as the house, and backs onto the back garden of the house on the next road.
Each pair of houses has a fairly high wooden fence, 6-7 feet, between their gardens, and ours has totally given up the ghost and must be replaced.

I don't live there and the quote the agent has got is £1500 to replace it. I don't know exactly what work is involved but I assume basically it's clearing the old one away, sinking fence posts and then nailing panels up. Materials have to be considered but it's a poor, fairly rough north-eastern village so I doubt they'd be doing anything very fancy.

Can anyone comment on the cost, and how big a job this should be? Not being there I'm a bit worried the agent has no interest getting a decent quote and it's easy for a contractor to charge high rates.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Depends how long the garden is? But it sounds very expensive for a typical old terrace and a basic 6 foot fence with 3 inch wooden posts.

It's the width of the garden not the length, but it's a pretty typical 3/4 bed semi so I guess the fence is like 4 standard panels long, 8m or so... roughly.

With respect, you need to have in writing from the agent EXACTLY what is being quoted for.

Timber posts/concrete posts
Cheap and cheerful panels / decent panels / closeboarding

Sponsored Links
4 Decent quality panels with 3*3 posts concreted in should be more like £400 -£500. Concrete will cost more but nothing like £1500. Someone is trying it on.

i am inside my mid victorian 3 bed terrace internally its 11ft1 so boundery to boundery will be 2 panels or less assuming 3" posts =153"[3x3x3x72x72]

Someone is trying it on.

and my money is on the letting agents!
Maybe, in the past they have always provided invoices because for this kind of job they get the landlord to pay the contractor directly.

Of course there could be a dodgy kickback but in the past I've not thought things were over-priced... had the whole house re-painted, various bits of plumbing.

So I reckon the contractor might be the dodgy link. I have asked for a breakdown of the quote but I'm glad my gut feeling is looking like I was right to be suspicious!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back