Replacing a fitted gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am thinking about replacing my present gas hob at the same time that I replace my worktops. Is it alright for me to turn the gas off and disconnect the hob myself when removing the old hob/worktop only calling a corgi registered plumber in to deal with the reconnection after the worktop has been replaced?

Sponsored Links
Only a Corgi registered installer can work on copper gas pipes. Sorry

If your hob is via a rubber hose it is ok for you to connect and reconnect the cooker. Most the hobs I have seen though are on rigid pipe work.

Happy to help

No it isn't alright. You won't be able to test for leaks.

All hobs must be on rigid copper pipework not a hose, unless specifically allowed by the manufacturer of the hob. I know of none which are allowed.

If you turn the gas off, and disconnect the hob leaving the pipe open, that's a criminal offence!

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't intending to switch the gas back on again before having it professionally reconnected and didn't want to have to pay a plumber to come out twice, but if thats what has to be done........

Sponsored Links
unfortunatley yes it has to be done mate, corgi person to disconnect and reconnect sorry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back