Replacing a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has very kindly volunteered me to replace my mother in laws flat roof. Last year one of her neighbours was doing some painting outside and it appears he damaged the roof (which I'm guessing was already rotten).
So my plan is to remove the existing felt and ply and replace in reverse order. I have a few questions and not having any trade discounts from builders merchant (Except a b and q card), I am also paying for the roof as she is a pensioner. Fortunately the roof is only 10M2.

1, what type of felt and adhesive should I be using.
2, Do I need to put more than one layer down.
3, Does modern felt need to be covered over with stone chipping.
Thanks James

Sponsored Links
Going by what you have written, I would say you are a pensioner (b&q card) with no/if any DIY experience.

Get 3 quotes from roofers or this could end in tears.

Andy

Im 50 and an electrician. Also I've put a couple of flat roofs on garages 15 years ago, just need some advise from someone with knoledge.

OK, so you are young and a trade.

This is what I done to my double garage roof. Never tried it before but followed all of the videos and it came out very well. Watch them all, I think there are 5.:

Andy

Sponsored Links
If it is a simple flat roof then consider using a membrane instead of felt. The materials are more expensive than felt and pitch but with no joins to seal with hot pitch the probality of sucess is far higher. Especially for a DIY project.

As for discounts at builders merchants. I have Cash Accounts with several, they were told it was for DIY work and none refused. Pay by cash or debit / credit card at time of purchase, Discounts are good.

EPDM gets my vote.

But before you do anything at all, you need to know the condition of the joists beneath the decking. If it's not just the board that's rotted, it could be a bigger job

We're the waters come through the roof the ceilings plaster board has dropped out and fortunately the joists look ok from what I can inspect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back