Replacing a glass canopy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mums glass canopy is about 35 yrs old. It needs replacing. One section of glass has now broken away from it fixings and is being supported in place by a bit of timber running down to the floor.

Any idea what products we could use. You can get glass units and also polycarbonate.

There are 9 panels of 210 x 55 cm wired glass at the moment.

I think it should be pretty easy to have some units made up and i could probably fix them into place, or my mate could who is a window fitter.

Any ideas on costs or different products to use. She has had one quote of £3300 inc vat.

I reckon i could do it for £1500 if i order from a glass company myself.

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpg
    IMG_2031.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
Why get glass sealed units? , they will create no benefit for you, cost you more and eventually break down ( well within 35 years ) . Single glass here would be sufficient with the open sides in this case

The area there compares to my carport and I've just polycarbed mine for £300, like Ronnie says dgus will serve no purpose, if glass then I'd do it in single panes 6.4 lam

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be getting D/G units. More like single toughened or laminated as mentioned.

Polycarbonate is a good option, but it is a cheaper option and it is nice to have proper glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back