Replacing a glass insert panel in a UPVC front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a crappy UPVC front door (20+ years old, not composite) which has a dated decorative glass insert on the top half which I want to replace with a more contemporary frosted panel instead. I've had a cusory glance at youtube and it seems this is a diy job (once the old panel is sized up and a new one of the same dimensions is obtained to fit in its place). To clarify though, do I just simply remove the beading, pull out the old panel, slot the new one in place, then just stick the beading back in situ? Surely if its that easy for me to do, then every burglar would gain entry the same way? Seems a bit counter productive having multi-locking UPVC doors all over the house when all you need to gain entry and nick tellys in is jemmy the beading out and remove the panels. Am I missing something?

Ta

Alex

Attachments

• WIN_20190427_18_51_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190427_18_51_58_Pro.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 616
  • WIN_20190427_18_52_50_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190427_18_52_50_Pro.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 514
Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from the blurry pics but should have one of 2 things.
A. A back wedge, Internal wedge that pushes the glass out and locks the external beads in place.
B. security clips holding the glass in. These are an ass to deal with, usually need to be cut out with an angle grinder and replaced

I see, so if I ease out one of the beads from the inside side of the door I should see what kind of system is holding it in place? Of the two possible scenarios you describe above, I take it the second one is more bother than its worth?

Sponsored Links
There will only be either inside or outside beads. I cant tell from your pics but looks to be outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back