Replacing a laminate floor with a new one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post so go easy!

We just bought a house recently and whoever did the laminate flooring in the living room did a questionable job of it - tongue and groove non-click system, not actually glued together, no expansion gap around the edges - and we've decided to replace it.

The stuff we have picked is the same thickness as the old stuff, and the current underlay is the thin white foam stuff you can get in rolls in B&Q.

Would we be likely to run into problems if we replaced the underlay with wood fibre boards? They're a mite thicker than the old white stuff. This new laminate floor will be fitted onto wooden floorboards as opposed to a concrete floor.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
The main thing to look for is clearance under doors otherwise I can't see there being any issues.

Just to add, I used the grey rubbery-type material from B&Q - about 3mm thick but seems quite good.

kbdiy gives some good suggestions, all I would add is the cardboard underlay you were tlaking about from B&Q (green colour if remember correctly) does eventually lose its strength over time, the rubber underlay is much stronger and helps insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back