Replacing a light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am sure I am not first person to ask this on this forum... But can't find a post that matches my requirements

I am looking to replace a double switch in a 1970s house but the wiring is a little confusing. Normally, I would replace like-for-like but the old switch doesn't have the markings. My new switch has COM, L1, L2, etc but these are not marked on the old switch so I'm not sure what goes where..... So wondering if you kind people can help.

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from those pics ,can you show another pic with all the terminals visible ? A bird's eye view ,so to speak.
Commonly, two gang switches are arranged in two triangular shapes,with com at the top ,and L1 & L2 at each bottom corner of the triangle.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Hopefully this helps...?
IMG_20211223_111935.jpg

The top left terminal ( with 2 red wires in) is com of left switch ,the bottom left terminal and the one next to it are L1 and L2 of the same switch ,so arranged in a triangle. The bottom right is the com of the right switch and the remaining top two are L1 and L2 of that switch , so an upside down triangle layout.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back