Replacing a lighting bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed an old lighting bar with the intention of replacing it with a more modern version. The old item was wired through 1 x live (brown) and 2 joined neutral and no earth. The new item stipulates earthing - what are my options.

The new lighting bar is for 4 x 50w halogen bulbs - will this unit require a transformer and if so, what spec should I get

I would greatly appreciate your opinions

Sponsored Links
what are my options.

Take the fitting back and buy a double insulated fitting, or have that part (or all) of the circuit rewired to include an earth.

The new lighting bar is for 4 x 50w halogen bulbs - will this unit require a transformer and if so, what spec should I get

What does it say in the instructions?

Thanks for your help guys.

With regard to the instructions - they are basic at best and seem to be more comprehensive in Serbian and Romanian with English getting a very generic reference. There is no reference to transformers in the instructions that I can see, hence referring to this forum.

Thanks again for your help

What makes you think that it needs a transformer?

If the body is metal and the terminal blocks are exposed within the body, the body MUST be earthed. If you are in doubt, put a clear picture on here.

If it needs earthing, you NEED to return it to the shop, or have the circuit rewired.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back