Replacing a mechanical boiler timer with digital - Help!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought the faulty mechanical timer on my boiler would have been an easy thing to replace with a digital one as the device does exactly the same thing, however when putting getting the new digital device there are a few problems. Can anybody help?!

This is the old timer. As you can see there are 5 prongs.

This is the new digital timer. What i don't understand is that there are only 4 prongs?

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I should have also said that I have tried to plug it in by ignoring the missing prong but it did not work and the boiler stayed on constantly.

Thanks

Get one with 5 connections such as the FMD120. Can you get a better photo of the back of the old one?

Sponsored Links
Damn. So is there a way of converting this simply?

Also from looking about all the timers seem to be AC and not DC. Anywhere where they sell them?

Also the old timer had a Normally Closed contact, which was used by the boiler. The new one has no Normally Closed contact, and wiring the boiler to the Normally Open contact naturally caused the boiler to be on constantly.

So you need a timer operating from 3VDC and having a Normally Closed contact available to boot.

Also the old timer had a Normally Closed contact, which was used by the boiler. The new one has no Normally Closed contact, and wiring the boiler to the Normally Open contact naturally caused the boiler to be on constantly.

So you need a timer operating from 3VDC and having a Normally Closed contact available to boot.

Do not see how. Page 22, figure 2.24 shows otherwise. Short circuit fires the boiler for CH. Only explanation to what the label on programmer shows is that convention used is incorrect. All contacts in electrical diagrams normally shown in 'unpowered' position. Another clue is that the thermostat shown in the diagram also shown as operated i.e. calling for heat. _/_ a contact shown thus is less confusing

OP, plug the 'new' timer in again and then short the two contacts with a screw driver (DO NOT SHORT THE M TERMINALS). See if the boiler starts up.

Do not see how. Page 22, figure 2.24 shows otherwise. Short circuit fires the boiler for CH. Only explanation to what the label on programmer shows is that convention used is incorrect. All contacts in electrical diagrams normally shown in 'unpowered' position. Another clue is that the thermostat shown in the diagram also shown as operated i.e. calling for heat. _/_ a contact shown thus is less confusing

OP, plug the 'new' timer in again and then short the two contacts with a screw driver (DO NOT SHORT THE M TERMINALS). See if the boiler starts up.

Yes, but still useless.
The new timer isn't suitable for that boiler, the new timer is 240v ac version, that why it didn't work.
The old timer is 3v dc version. Use this like in my earlier post, the same type suitable for that boiler.
http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co...-027601261-999599-mechanical-timer-p-968.html

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back