Replacing a photocell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a photocell in a light fitting, the previous electrician drilled a hole in the top of the light for the photocell but i couldn't remove it so i cut wires. What i wanted to know is: if i get a different brand photocell an connect it to the existing wires will it work?

Sponsored Links
Without knowing the make/model, who can say.

Have you considered having a separate Photcell (PIR), then you can take advantage of the miriad of outdoor lights available

There's a photocell in the light already, i just cut the wires connecting it to the circuitry box as it was burnt out. But i don't know if the circuitry box from another brand would still make the photocell work. I e-mailed the company: Zodion, last week but still no reply and my wholesalers can't get hold of them.

Is it the circuit box you want
or
the sensor bit

If it is the clear sensor bit usually with two wires , and a 20mm thread,undo the internal lock ring and it will pull out.
All that is is a light sensitive diode and any will do.
These rarely burn out.

If it is the circuit box, the only ones I know are boxed, 50mm X 40 X 25, these link to the sensor above
You will need suitable room in the fitting for these.
You can see them in the RS cataloque
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2159609
part no 215-9609

They come as both parts though
It may be cheaper and easier to replace the fitting

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back