Replacing a piece of stair carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a piece of stair carpet where my cats have scratched a hole. It's only on one winding stair and I have spare carpet material.

Any tips on how I should go about this please? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Cut the old carpet at the back of the tread, where it meets the riser, and again under the nose of the offending stair.

Lift the carpet at the riser on the above riser temporarily. Cut a new piece to fit, and staple around the edges (say every 4 inches). Finally staple down the edges of the old carpet.

Take old piece of carpet, staple to piece of MDF of the same size, paint over edge of carpet about an inch wide with duckegg blue emulsion paint, fix hanging points to rear of MDF so it will hang at a slant and support it using picture hook. This will make an attractive "Welcome" decoration for the outside of the front door. :D

Oilman said:
Take old piece of carpet, staple to piece of MDF of the same size, paint over edge of carpet about an inch wide with duckegg blue emulsion paint, fix hanging points to rear of MDF so it will hang at a slant and support it using picture hook. This will make an attractive "Welcome" decoration for the outside of the front door.
You've been playing with that Linda Barker girl again, haven't you?

Sponsored Links
The winders are usually carpeted individually so you should just be able to pull the carpet up and then you can use it as a template for the new piece.

TexMex said:
Oilman said:
Take old piece of carpet, staple to piece of MDF of the same size, paint over edge of carpet about an inch wide with duckegg blue emulsion paint, fix hanging points to rear of MDF so it will hang at a slant and support it using picture hook. This will make an attractive "Welcome" decoration for the outside of the front door.
You've been playing with that Linda Barker girl again, haven't you?
Or Carol Smiley Smiley!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back