Replacing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best and quickest way to replace a bathroom radiator without draining the water out of the system? The boiler is an RD2 Fan Flued Gas combi boiler by British Gas.

Sponsored Links
Turn off the valves on each side of the radiator,
Drain water from radiator.
Replace radiator with same size replacement.
;)

The BG RD2 wasn't a combi boiler the last time i looked.

A rebadged Ideal Classic i think.

sorry - you're right. - I thought combi meant it heated your hot water and your heating. thick aren't i? Anyhow - it's not as simple as that. The old rad was large and the replacement is a towel warmer - much narrower with different fittings. The old rad is off and resizing the pipe work is a job I am happy to underake easily enough. It's just the thought of draining the whole system which is a full day job is making me feel depressed. Is their an easier way? What do people mean by freezing? if so how easy? why didn't I move into a new-build ??

Sponsored Links
Buy a pair of conical rubber bungs which you will find in the plumbing tools section.

You should find the instructions easy to follow.

Take care to only have one pipe end open at a time.

if you gonna use 'witches hats', you will have to use mechanical fittings as soldering them will be difficult (due to water).

what size is the pipework?

right then if you plug the tank (the heating header tank only!!!) then open one of the existing rad valves until the water stops running, cut the pipe with a slice and then fit a compression ballofix valve and turn it off. Repeat procedure on tyhe other valve. remove bungs and bleed the water through the ballofixes if you are to use the heating prior to connection to new rad.

this method now allows you to redo pipe work to new rad, once complete simply turn on ballofix valves and bleed rad. if you have a leak on the new pipework you can simply isolate your new pipework through the ballofix valves until it is all sound.

..i still wouldnt buy a new build ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back