Replacing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace and move a radiator.
I realise that I have to drain the system, but I can't find a place to drain it from.
I guess it would be at the lowest point, but I can find no outlets on the ground floor at all.
Would it be under the floor boards?

Sponsored Links
No, it shouldn't be under your floor boards. If the radiators have been moved around in the past, it is possible that the radiator that was moved, use to contain the drain cock on one of its tails. When the old position was capped off, the plumber/DIYer obviously forgot to refit the drain cock on another radiator. To get over this initial problem, you'll need to buy union valve tail of the same size, a 15mm olive, compression nut, 6inches of copper pipe & 20mm hose clip. Put some tarpulling under rad, turn both the valves off on the smallest ground floor radiator nearest the door and open the bleed nipple. Put a tupperware bowl under one of the rad's union nuts and loosen until water drops into bowl, tighten when it gets full and empty. It may take sometime, but you'll have to repeat the process until rad is drained. Once drained, get a bigger bowl by the side of you and unscrew both union nuts. As you lift this rad off the wall tilt it straight into the bigger bowl to get rid of the excess. Now comes the clever part. push the olive and compression nut over copper pipe and push the pipe into the threaded union, it won't go in all the way as it was not intended to take copper pipe, it was designed to screw into the rad! Make the compression join to the pipe and attach a hose to the over end with the hose clip. Then connect the union to the valve. Hey presto, a drip free drain cock when you open the rad valve. Whilst the sytems drained, fit a new drain cock - my fingers hurt!
good luck!

Gary
P.S: alternatevely, if you've got more time
than money, You could just bucket the water out straight from the valve!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back