Replacing a Randall 4033 programmer with a Drayton Tempus 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have purchased a Drayton Tempus 7 and thought this would be an easy swap (did similar 25 years ago in my first flat) but it turns out not to be! I have the instructions and wiring diagram for the 4033 and obviously for the new Tempus 7.

The problem is that the 4033 is not wired the way any of the diagrams that I can find are and therefore I can not figure which wire goes into which terminal of the Tempus 7.

4033 is wired (this was done by a pro when I had the house rewired a few years back)

1 Thin Light brown wire
2 Thick dark brown wire
3 Empty
4 is joined to six by a piece of thin brown wire
5 Empty
6 Lt brown plus the joining wire to 4
7 Blue wire
Earth - Green and yellow wire

The Tempus has six terminals:

N
L
1 HW Off
2 CH Off
3 HW On
4 CH On
Earth

Can anybody tell me how I should wire the Tempus 7? Do you need any more information about the installation?

Hope you can help as this will save me a few quid!!:)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1 Thin Light brown wire =Tempus 3
2 Thick dark brown wire =Tempus 4
3 Empty
4 is joined to six by a piece of thin brown wire Remove Link - No equivalent connection
5 Empty
6 Lt brown =Tempus L plus the joining wire to 4 Link to 4 not required - discard the wire
7 Blue wire = Tempus N
Earth - Green and yellow wire = Tempus Earth

Thanks D_Hailsham.

Can I just clarify something. Will the wiring you have given enable the hot water and central heating to be operated independently? The main reason for purchasing the tempus 7 is so that I can do this?

If yes can you just explain how so I understand and if no is there a way of making it so that this is possible?

Thanks.

Will the wiring you have given enable the hot water and central heating to be operated independently? The main reason for purchasing the tempus 7 is so that I can do this?

If yes can you just explain how so I understand and if no is there a way of making it so that this is possible?
Now you are asking a completely different question ;)

The wiring I have given is a straightforward replacement of one timer with another. Controlling hearing and hot water independently will depend on what sort of system you have and what other components there are.

I need to know the following:

Make and Model of boiler?
How many water pipes connected to the boiler?
Do you have a cylinder thermostat - about a third of the way up the cylinder side?
Do you have motorized valves - type and how many?

Sponsored Links
Thanks D Hailsham

Ok here goes:

Make and Model of boiler? -

>Potterton Netaheat Electronic. Can not find more details

How many water pipes connected to the boiler?

A> Can not really say.

Do you have a cylinder thermostat - about a third of the way up the cylinder side? -

A> Yes

Do you have motorized valves - type and how many?

A> 2 Little boxes on the pipes about size of three packs of cards with aluminium casing one with heat written on it and the other with HW

With the current 4033 timer I am able to have:

HW timed Heating off
HW Timed heating on
HW timed heating timed but both have to go on and off at the same time, twice a day.

and so on.

Basically I want to be able to have the heating on for less time than the HW is on.

Sorry I am not of much help can you say from the above. I suppose the other alternative is to connect up the Tempus 7 and see what I have? As a minimum I assume I would have what I have before?

Thank you for all your help.

purpleski

Thanks for all the info; it's very useful. Number of pipes does not matter now!

Do you have a cylinder thermostat - about a third of the way up the cylinder side? - Yes
That is a step in the right direction ;)

Do you have motorized valves - type and how many? 2 Little boxes on the pipes about size of three packs of cards with aluminium casing one with heat written on it and the other with HW
Sound like motorized valves. That means you can control heating and hot water separately.

Just connect up the Tempus 7 as my earlier instructions and set the separate heating and hot water times as per the instructions provided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back