Replacing a Thermostatic Bar Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower valve seems to be stuck on cold (my new flat mate seems to enjoy cold showers, so the thermo dial is being used for the first time in a decade).

I was thinking of getting a plumber in.. but at £100 to £160 I am thinking that I could replace it myself.

Is there anything I should be aware of, or any special tools I may need?
Or what type of Bar vavle should I get as a replacement.
for example..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GSQSME6

Any tips or tricks and info would be great.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0407-01.jpeg
    DSC_0407-01.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not all shower valves are the same, make sure you buy one with the same pipe centers, a very easy swap

Not all shower valves are the same, make sure you buy one with the same pipe centers, a very easy swap
Thanks for the reply..
How would I know what 'pipe centers' I have. (OK, I'm not sure what pipe centers are).

is it just the distance between the pipes?

Sponsored Links
So, it's seeming like a really easy job to do. Might just order the mixer valve in that link above and give it a go.

Looks like tiler that did that, tiles should have been cut closer to the pipework so the covers hide the cuts.

The 2 pipes coming out of the wall, measure from the centre of the left pipe to the centre of the right, should be 150mm. If so any standard bar mixer will fit. As far as the pipe covers are concerned then leave it the way it is unless you want to get into a pile of pi$$ing about to get the covers on leaving enough pipe to get the shower attached. Also check which pipe is the hot feed and which is cold and that it matches the orientation of the one you are buying.

yeah, I think the tiling was a bodge job as this flat was a rental before I bought it. I think the tiles are on top of more tiles. (Lazy huh!)

But, great, thanks for your response.. :)

The linked one is not suitable for a gravity system. If you have a gravity system it may not function correctly so find our first before you make a purchase so you don't make the same mistake as me!

The linked one is not suitable for a gravity system.

Actually it is, it'll work down to .2 bar so it will run on a gravity system, height of cold cistern dependent (say in the loft, shower downstairs) but always worth checking so fair point.

They're mostly used on mains pressure though and as already using a bar mixer can't really see any issue replacing with another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back