Replacing a wooden shed with a wooden garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i am after a bit of advice regarding a garden building / shed :D

As you can see by the photo i have a large shed on the land forward of the front elevation of my house. The building in question is the green shed; this was built as a chicken run/ shed, but been used for storage for the last few years.

The size is 23 ft wide and around 14 ft deep. To the rear of the shed and over the hedge is the public highway, there is around 6 ft between the hedge and the back of the shed.

I would like to replace this with a wooden garage like this one

I would like to replace this with a wooden garage like this one
The size would be around the same width but around 16ft deep and around 12-14 inches higher.

My question is do i have to inform the planning department of my intentions :?: or can i just replace it with a new building?

Thanks in advanced for your advice :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you Freddy for your reply.

I am not in a conservation area, ANOBI or a listed building but the land where the existing building is forward of the house.

I have read the permitted development guide and i may be getting the wrong end of the stick but is that not for new developments?

Do i not have a case that there is a building already there all i want to do is replace and old run down building with a new one of the same material.

Well as you can see the legislation does not specifically mention replacement structures. Unfortunately the only categorical way of determining it is a phone call to you local Planning department. Whilst you could happily repair the structure no question, once you demolish it it is no longer there and consequently as you will be then adding a new structure back in its place I suspect this would be deemed new development if you see what I mean! This is certainly the case with extensions to dwellings.

I suspect that you may well get away with it if it is not easily visible from the roadside although that is entirely at your own risk.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back