Replacing a worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to add a new bit of worktop to one wall in my kitchen. However, seeing as I now can't find where the original owners bought the old worktop, I can't find a bit to match. So, my question is this: is it possible to replace a whole worktop - keeping the applicances, sink, tiling etc that are installed/surround it? Or am I asking for trouble (I'm thinking cracked tiles, etc...)

Thanks for any advice before I start ripping things out!

Sponsored Links
It should be possible if you are careful. Before you start though, make sure that you can get replacement worktop of the same thickness. Hopefully the worktop is secured to the cupboards by screws not glued. This being the case you need to look carefully at the back edge of the worktop. There should be a bead of silicon that you remove. A stanley knife run along both sides of the bead i.e. at a shallow angle along the length of the bead from the worktop and then from the tiles on the other edge of the bead to remove it. You should then be able to see how the tile line meets the worktop (Assuming that the tiles don't go behind the worktop). Having unscrewed the worktop from the cupboards, you may find that you can just slide the worktop out, as the worktop surface isn't porous and any grout won't have adhered to it with any strength. If it doesn't come away easily, carefully chip the grout away where the tiles meet the worktop and it should come out without any damage to tiles or cupboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back