Cheap "temporary" kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, in my kitchen I've got an old worktop which is narrower, but also deeper than the standard size (1640 x 800 mm). It seems to be an old DIY job and is tiled with smallish wall tiles which have cracked and broken over the years.

We are going to do the whole kitchen in about a year's time (got a wedding to pay for before then!). Can anyone advise what I could do to replace or re-surface the worktop in the meantime. It doesn't have to be perfect, but her indoors HATES the tiles so I'd like to avoid tiling if possible (though my tiling is generally good).

If possible, I'd like to remove the old tiles, stick on a thin MDF board and cover in laminate. The trouble is I have no idea if I can get laminate suitable for a kitchen worktop or where I could get it from.

Any advice is much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
is there a reason why you don't want to use ordinary worktop (laminated chipboard)? It is fairly cheap, hard wearing, available in a vast range of colours and textures at any DIY shed, and some of them will cut it to size.

Thanks for the reply. Well, I had a look at some worktops, but they all seemed to have a max depth of 600mm. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap one with a depth of 800mm or more. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, it's only in for a year!

Plyboard sanded and varnished - something with a smooth grain and no knots

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, I think I'll go with that! I hadn't even thought of wood with varnish, but of course it doesn't matter if it gets a few dents, as it's only temporary!

A 2m meter long breakfast bar would do, these come in 900 wide, ask about to see if anyone has a damaged one in stock, as they come with two rounded edges you will be able to cut one off.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back