Is a kitchen worktop joint waterproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently had a new kitchen installed but found after two months the new laminate worktops have started to bubble around a joint, which I guess is down to moisture getting into the joint.
The fitter has said worktop joints aren't completely waterproof and I must have left standing water which would have got in the joint. Because of this he won't do anything about it.

Is that correct that a worktop joint not expected to be completely waterproof? If there is standing water for short periods over the joint, will it bubble in just a few months? Or could the fitter just not have sealed it properly?

Thanks,
Hallupa

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome Hallupa :D :D :D

where is the joint ??
they should not be in areas where water is likely to gather
it should not go after a few months normal use

Hi :)

The joint is near to the sink, maybe 30cm away.

The joint probably does get splashed quite a lot but water doesn't remain for any length of time

Why is there a joint so close to the sink??

Sponsored Links
The joint shouldn't go so quick, often the joint has to be close to the sink. Difficult one though ......

The joints should be sealed, either with a coloured worktop sealant or silicone sealant when they are made - this is to make them impervious to water ingress. hilst I always caution clients about the problems which can be caused by leaving sanding water on a joint, 30cm (12in) is hardly near to the sink, so my own conclusion is that the joint just wasn't adequately sealed in the first case.

often the joint has to be close to the sink.
How come?
There seem to be a lot of 1970s and 1980s houses in this area where there is a short wall with a window at the end of the kitchen big enough to take a sink and drainer and little more. With those you invariably have a joint right next to the sink or drainer (although for those I use a D4 adhesive, even if it does mean a bit of a wait)

The joints should be sealed, either with a coloured worktop sealant or silicone sealant when they are made - this is to make them impervious to water ingress. hilst I always caution clients about the problems which can be caused by leaving sanding water on a joint, 30cm (12in) is hardly near to the sink, so my own conclusion is that the joint just wasn't adequately sealed in the first case.

Thinking about it the joint probably starts around 2in away from the sink then goes diagonally away ending around 24in away from the sink. Is that too close to the sink?

Thanks chaps - wasn't thinking of a right angle but it all makes sense now!!

:oops:

If (when) i get them I glue the joint with waterproof glue and leave it overnight. No other way to do it IMHO

The fitter said he used the joining compound that Howdens provided with the worktops plus silicone but no PVA.

He said he could fix it by replacing the worktop but I would have to pay for a new worktop and pay him for a days work :(
He also said if he replaced the worktop he would use PVA to try to stop it doesn't happening again, but couldn't guaranty it

The fitter said he used the joining compound that Howdens provided with the worktops plus silicone but no PVA.

He said he could fix it by replacing the worktop but I would have to pay for a new worktop and pay him for a days work :(
He also said if he replaced the worktop he would use PVA to try to stop it doesn't happening again, but couldn't guaranty it

thats wrong so soon after fitting
at six months you can argue joint fault so you buy the top and he fits free
at 2 months blaming you is just wrong if as you claim the area never gets wet to any extent
have you got pictures

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back