Laminitate worktop joint slightly blown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can offer me some advice.

We had a B&Q laminate worktop fitted in Feb. Unfortunately the fitter didn't have any colourfill at the time and used glue in the joints.

After it was fitted we got some colourfill and put this over the joints. Unfortunately around two months ago I noticed that the joint near the sink has slightly blown. After reading //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=617976#617976 I decided to use some silicone to seal over the joints. However, unfortunately one joint's came off almost straight away (non blown) as the laminate is smooth I expect. The other one lasted until today. My understanding is that one of the silicone strengths is that is is flexible, but I don't think the joints are going to move that much as so I could use something which has a stronger grip to the surface and is harder wearing.

Can someone suggest something that I can use to form a strong hard wearing waterproof cover over the joint? I was thinking I could use some of the coloured tape over the joint and glue that down, but would prefer to use something like silicone but sets harder and stronger.

I understand the solution won't look pretty but I have just had a baby and don't really want to go through all the effort of replacing the worktop again. I need something quick and will stop it getting worse and then maybe replace in a few years...

Hope someone can help,

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Sponsored Links
Call them back! It is unfit for purpose!

They should have used the correct materials, kick up a stick, write to the managing director of B & Q and also Kingfisher (they own B & Q)

You want new worktops supplied and fitted for free and you want different tradesmen on site.

Andy

Call them back! It is unfit for purpose!

They should have used the correct materials, kick up a stick, write to the managing director of B & Q and also Kingfisher (they own B & Q)

You want new worktops supplied and fitted for free and you want different tradesmen on site.

Andy

Only if the OP chose to have the kitchen fitted by B&Q contractors. Otherwise I'd advise getting back in touch with the original fitter. ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for your reply.

While the worktop was bought from B&Q it wasn't fitted by them. It was fitted my someone I found on MyHammer, who's profile now seems to be blocked...

Replacing the worktops would be quite a lot a work with retitling and fitting hob and sink - well some work anyway which I may look into at some point.

What I want now is a solution which will prevent it getting worse in the short term - then once we have more time I can look into replacing the worktop.

Can someone suggest a solution?

Sponsored Links
Would painting some varnish on the joint be a good idea? Having read more posts - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=135551 in particular mentions using varnish on the cut ends prior to joining. Obviously its too take to do that now, but I could use some over the joint. Thinking some clear stuff wouldn't show too much and would be waterproof.

The joint is near the sink, 10.5 cm, looking at it now it may have being better to have the joint the other way, i.e. the piece with the sink in being the long piece.

Or, is it really too short a time after fitting to have this problem and I should insist on the fitter fixing it?

Ian

Blown worktops are ruined, they will continue to expand as moisture can enter, there is no quick or temp fix they need replacing.All cut outs and joins should be sealed before assembly to avoid these problems. :cry:

get him back a worktop shouldn't be blowing after that length of time.
He knows he didn't fit it correctly as he told you he didn't have any colorfil.
Why didn't he just go and get some.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back