Kitchen Worktop Water damage? any solution?

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn’t sure which section to post this in but here seemed the most appropriate.

Fitted a kitchen worktop about 7 years ago. Had the joint cut by a professional kitchen fitter who did a good job. Wasn’t ready to fit it so fitted it myself at a later date.

Seared silicon on the top half of the joint and used a flexible water proof adhesive on the bottom half then clamped together using the usual worktop clamps fitted into the pre-cut rebates.

Part of the joint now looks like it is suffering form water damage and has bubbled.

Is there any way of repairing it?

If not what’s the best solution to prevent it getting any worse?

Thanks

worktop006.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it is just the laminate that is loose you could try getting some impact adhesive or other non expanding glue in there and weighing it down until dry. Mask the surrounding area and clean off any excess glue before weighing down, otherwise you risk damaging the surface - not to mention getting the weight stuck!
http://www.screwfix.com/p/evo-stik-impact-adhesive-250ml/38770

If the chipboard underneath has swollen then there is not a lot that can be done other than trying to seal the join to prevent further damage.

The problem stems from the joint being so close to the sink which is not recommended, but in some instances, unavoidable.

Warm iron over tissue for 10 mins or so, keep moving, tissue will help draw out any moisture and heat will reactivate laminate glue. Need to check frequently to ensure you don't overheat the area.Then apply a heavy weight for several hours, and you could always try praying. ;)

Thanks for the replies.

When I tried pressing on the bump I did not detect any movement in the laminate. Guess that means that the chipboard has expanded.

The underside of the worktop looks fine so damage hasn’t got that far.

Can’t lift the laminate to get any adhesive under there so can’t try that option.

Have tried praying in the past but that never worked perhaps I need to change religion.

Will try the iron method but is that likely to work if the chipboard has expanded?

Assuming it works what can be done to prevent it happening again?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back