Damaged Wood Worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a wooden kitchen worktop and side panel fitted. We then had a flood in our house (not in the kitchen) and the insurer put in industrial dryers to dry the damage. The wooden worktop has now blown/popped out at the join between the worktop and side panel. The insurer is claiming that the dryers won't have caused this.

We also have real engineered wood flooring in the kitchen, again it did not get wet but it is now bouncy etc and it wasn't like that pre-flood. Again the insurance are claiming that the movement in the floor would not be caused by the dryers. As I understand things (and as you can tell I don't know v much....) any water in the air etc could warp the worktop and flooring?

Any comments/advice would be appreciated. I now have a kitchen with a damaged worktop and flooring and the insurers are refusing to contribute to get them fixed. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Keep on at them......its their job to wriggle out of a claim, or at least to reduce it! The more fuss you make, etc......
No threats at this stage......say its the only claim you've had in 40 odd years - the usual stuff.
John :)

I have recently had a wooden kitchen worktop and side panel fitted. We then had a flood in our house (not in the kitchen) and the insurer put in industrial dryers to dry the damage. The wooden worktop has now blown/popped out at the join between the worktop and side panel. The insurer is claiming that the dryers won't have caused this.

We also have real engineered wood flooring in the kitchen, again it did not get wet but it is now bouncy etc and it wasn't like that pre-flood. Again the insurance are claiming that the movement in the floor would not be caused by the dryers. As I understand things (and as you can tell I don't know v much....) any water in the air etc could warp the worktop and flooring?

Any comments/advice would be appreciated. I now have a kitchen with a damaged worktop and flooring and the insurers are refusing to contribute to get them fixed. Thanks
Insurers are correct, the dryer is not responcible , [wood shrinks when dried] however you can still claim as the humidity caused by the flood will have done the damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back