Is a kitchen worktop joint waterproof?

He also said if he replaced the worktop he would use PVA to try to stop it doesn't happening again, but couldn't guaranty it

so if he agrees that using pva would/might stop it from happening again why didnt he do it in the 1st place.

on a personal slant,i dont use pva anymore when i do worktops,i use poly glue and bushboard jointing compound.
http://www.bushboard.co.uk/bb-complete/
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab23sDHhUfE

once youve used this gear id be very surprised if you use anything else.

Sponsored Links
on a personal slant,i dont use pva anymore when i do worktops,i use poly glue and bushboard jointing compound.

once youve used this gear id be very surprised if you use anything else.
But there's PVA and there's PVA. 5 or 6 years ago most PVA was D2 (interior use) or D3 (exterior, sheltered use) and took 12 to 24 hours to dry. These days there are plenty of 10 or 20 minute PVA glues (although I'd leave it a few hours TBH) rated at D4 (exterior, fully waterproof). Unlike PU glue they don't foam up or make your skin go black - both major advantages IMHO. PU has it's place, but I think the risks of using it with pre-finished materials and veneered stuff, etc (and having to scrape off any foam out) are just too great

If the fitter cut and fixed the joint correctly it should last years.
There are only two ways for a joint to fail so quickly
1 incorrectly fitted
2 fault in the material
Did you buy the kitchen through howdens?
If so contact them they are generally good in there aftercare

Attached is a photo but it's difficult to see - the bubbling runs for perhaps 4 inches and is around 2mm high on the right side of the joint (The left side worktop strangely hasn't bubbled at all - I guess that side is sealed properly)

I've now put silicone over the join to try to stop it getting any worse

I think perhaps all I can do is leave the fitter a negative Checkatrade report? I don't think the fitter will admit that he made a mistake so won't do to fix it.
It's a shame because until this happened I thought he'd done a brilliant job

Sponsored Links
1 incorrectly fitted
2 fault in the material

Thanks chippy5 - I did buy through Howdens - what would they normally do in this situation if it's a fault in the material? would they send out a free worktop or would they send someone out to replace the worktop?

Your best bet is to call the rep and have him come and have a look.
If it is a material fault Howdens will supply new
But I have a feeling it's been poorly fitted. Which means you have to get the fitter to replace the worktops free of charge. You shouldn't have to pay to replace them

1 incorrectly fitted
2 fault in the material

if howdens accept they are at fault and you supplied the worktop then you need to pay the fitter/chippie to fit the new one as it was fitted to standard so your contract with him has ended

if you can convince him he is partly to blame you may get a compromise off reduced cost to fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back