Replacing air bricks with new plastic ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon

Due to a recent leak in my kitchen ; someone has mentioned replacing the traditional air bricks to the plastic type to give more air flow under the sub floor

Are these new ones really much better?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chappers

A damp bloke was telling me about how they increaseairflow in new ones because of something or other (cant remember what now)
I could understand it if you put a double in - then i suppose thats bound to increase it

What i could do with is a tiny snakey camera to put through the brick to see what happening under the floor!

Bad luck on the leak.
Plastic ones have a lot bigger equivalent open area, so you'll get more air flow. That would help if your ventilation is not adequate.
If it's already adequate it probably won't help.
Traditional ones have to have quite big sections between the holes, and small holes, due to the fact they're made of clay which isn't as mouldable as plastic.

Sponsored Links
this is true, but its highly unlikely that a clay brick won't be sufficient when a plastic one is.

If the leak has been rectified then why do you need to alter the existing underfloor ventilation - something which has presumably been fine for many years previous.

Hi there- because there might be some water lurking below- i dont want mould n stuff growing under the kitchen.

Hi there- because there might be some water lurking below- i dont want mould n stuff growing under the kitchen.

The water will dry off on its own via the existing ventialtion. Mould can only grow when the conditions allow for a specific and constant amount of humidity (ie water).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back