Replacing an antique Open Vent system with a combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

All this recent boiler scrappage talk made me start thinking about my draconian Thorn Olympic boiler and open vent system. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before it give up the ghost completely after more than a handful of close calls.

I don't want to start a debate on the virtues of the scrappage scheme, but instead I wondered if it's possible to replace this with a modern combi boiler instead?

The house is a semi-detached three bedroom with one bathroom and downstairs cloakroom, the shower in the bathroom is electric so doesn't need a hot water supply.

What I'd like to do is possibly be able to remove the airing cupboard (and hot water tank) which is currently in the bathroom and move the electric shower to its own cubicle. it would also free up a ton of space in my loft as I currently have three large water tanks up there which I'm guessing would also be made redundant.

My question is, is this possible/recommended for a house like this?

And secondly, would the existing plumbing/radiatiors etc... be able to be used or would this be a massive floors up job?

Cheers

Rich

Sponsored Links
Rich,

First thing you need to find out is what your mains pressure and flows rates (static & dynamic) are like as this will determine whether a combi is suitable.

Rico

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm guessing I'd need to get a pro in for this?

I was going to phone up BG and get one of their quotes, would this be somethign they'd do, or do they just do straighrt boiler replacement?

Rich

No probs,

Get a quote from BG if you want but look at the post just below this.

Best asking friends or rellies for any recommendations for a local Gas Safe engineer.

They should give should some more options other than just boiler replacement.

Rico

Sponsored Links
I helped a friend convert from an old back boiler to a new combi and we just tapped in to the flow and return at another point convenient to where the new boiler was going. We actually had both boilers plumbed in at the same time for a brief period! The CH system was essentially the same except for the removal of the hot water system as everything on that side ran straight from the new boiler. A problem that we had, to watch out for, was the condition of the radiators themselves. You might assume a few joints would leak with the higher pressure, but a couple of older radiators split with the higher pressure as well.

Be aware that anyone who comes and quotes for a combi without-

Explaining their disadvantages...

Measuring the dynamic mains flow rate....

Is a total nupty and may mess up the installation.

Tony

There's a lot of good plumbers/heating installers out there :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back