Replacing an old dimmer switch with a new one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 7 downlights in my room, 4 are on one circuit, 3 on another. They are controlled by an old double dimmer switch (only switch in room). 1 light blew recently and then I replaced all 7 light fittings with new ones as I'm modernising the room. Now the set of 3 don't work off the switch and the set of 4 don't dim. I checked the set of 3 by connecting up to a 3-pin plug, and they work so am guessing that the dimmer switch died when the light blew. I now have a new double dimmer switch but the connections are labelled differently to the old one. Please could you let me know which cables I should connect to which terminals? Photos as in album called 'Dimmer Switch' (//www.diynot.com/network/cityclaret/albums/7738).

Kind regards,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Many thanks.

I take it that the earth just connects to the MK grid blank and doesn't need to connect to the new switch?

Also, could I not use the switch I have and fill in the holes either side of the new smaller grid blank?

As for connections, do you mean blue and yellow go individually into the terminals with the wiggly line?

Cheers,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all your advice.

I just tried wiring the blue and yellow wires to each of the 'fixed load' terminals of my old switch and both circuits are now working. For sanity sake, I also tried the wires in each of the 'variable load' terminals and neither circuits worked. There are indeed fuses for both switches but they are the small ones which I don't have, so can't test them. Could it be that the fuses have blown and they only affect the 'variable load' terminals, or is it just that this switch is not compatible for dimming with my new 50w GU10 lights?

It's only the dimmers that needed protecting by fuses, so if they've gone then that would easily explain your problem.

Replacing them might do no good, as the dimmers might not be able to cope with that much halogen lighting.

And 350W for one room? Is that because the room is the size of an aircraft hangar or because the lighting is an inappropriate type?

OK - I see. I'll change the fuses and see if I get any joy from the dimmers, but for now I'll enjoy having light!!

The room is about 5m x 4m (6 lights) with an extra 2m x 1m corridor on entry (7th light). 5 lights would probably have sufficed but it was simpler to replace what was there than create new holes and fill the existing ones.

Many thanks for your help,

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back