Replacing Back Boiler, What Is The Most Reliable Brand?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just wondered peoples opinions that work on them.

I'm buying a house that has a back boiler fitted, as far as I'm aware its fully functioning. In my last house I replaced the back boiler with a combi when it stopped working. I'm just tempted to replace this one, before that happens as I know its ancient.

When the last one was replaced it was done by guys that worked for British gas in their spare time. I never questioned the boiler, they fitted a Baxi Duo Tec 28. This has been fine for the 5 years on the whole, although the divertor valve started leaking after 3 years, this wasn't that cheap a repair, but not horrendous either. My parents have had the same boiler in a new build, this has had one minor fault in 10 years.

My brother when he replaced a boiler was recommended to get a Worcester Bosch, by the installer. This boiler was noting but trouble, needed lots of parts changed, including the main heat exchanger when the boiler was not old at all. It could've been badly installed, I don't really know. He moved house so the problems went away. Just seems to be a recommended brand, but my experiences have been negative based on this.

I've also got a family member that has had a Valiant for nearly ten years, and nothing at all has ever went wrong with this machine.

I'm just wondering what to get really, I'll be wanting a 28kw again, don't want to pay for the top brand, but don't want to buy cheap crap either. Just want the best value, most reliable brand, when installed correctly. I'm currently leaning towards the Baxi or a Valiant Ecotec +.

Any thought please?

Sponsored Links
how many people will live in the house, and how many bathrooms/showers are there?

A combi is not always the best choice.

Intergas ECO RF. 10 year warranty, only four moving parts - it doesn't have a diverter valve, so you don't have any concerns about that leaking, because it's just not there. Heat exchanger has seen 20 years of service without a single mechanical failure, and it's much much quieter than a Duotec. All hydraulics are made from brass and copper, unlike the "premium" brands which are increasingly using plastic and rubber. You won't find better. John is right about a combi not always being the best choice, but fortunately the Intergas can also be used as a system boiler if you decide to keep your hot water cylinder

mrsmarty There are so many gas boilers around these days but you ask for the most reliable boiler,why dont you ask for the boiler that will not need replacing in less than 10 years.

#3 has the idea :cool: fit the correct boiler to the property.

the anti combi force will be along soon mr :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
the anti combi force will be along soon mr :mrgreen:
Since you invited me I will comment.
I am NOT against combination boilers. They are ideal for a flat or an ultra small house where there is little if any space for a hot water cylinder. That was what they were specifically developed for.
To provide a hot water supply without a hot water cylinder the combi has to be a complex boiler with pump, secondary heat exchanger and other items compactly assembled ( crammed ) into the casing.
When the boiler fails there is no alternative means to provide hot water at the taps. With a hot water cylinder there can be an electric immersion heater as back up until the boiler can be repaired.

#3 has the idea :cool: fit the correct boiler to the property.
and for the life style of the people living in the property.

Old and COLD. has your heating system failed ?

Thanks for all the replies, and I should be more specific. The house is fairly small 3 bedroom semi, with 8 radiators. I live alone most of the time, but my daughter stays on weekends. The back boiler is a similar system as in my previous house, as I'm moving to a house built by the same builders in a different town. It will be a Thorn EMI Housewarmer, feeding a hot water tank and radiators, with a manifold and a divertor valve underneath the water tank, in the airing cupboard. In the other house they put the combi boiler in the garage, tying into the existing manifold, and removing the tank. I just never bothered with a gas fire and this was removed.

I like the idea of a combi as I like the shower pressure that a decent one provides, fitting a decent mixer. Obviously this could be done with a hot water tank, but I'm guessing it may need a pump if it's gravity fed. I used to have a power shower with the old back boiler, but the combi, with a decent thermostatic mixer was just as good as it. This is really my reason for a combi, plus a bit more storage where the cylinder was.

I do get the reasons for a system boiler though. You are not completely knackered when the boiler breaks down, which they usually do at some point. With some cheap electric heaters, you can function as normal really.

The Intergas boiler is a good shout thanks. I'd never heard of them, but its reasonably priced and look like a really good buy, thanks.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
:love::mrgreen: :D

smarty,once you purchase the property. Do you have any thoughts of eventually adding an extra bathroom/shower :?:

I'm doing intergas as my intermediate brand, simple operation - unknown future parts availability 10 yr warranty. Baxi as my value brand cheap and cheerful 2 year warranty. Worcester as my premium, expensive but always good for spares far longer than they have to. Personally use these 3 because they are all very local to me so nice easy training for us.

Any thought please?

You need to get your incoming mains pressure and flow checked before you settle on the idea of a combi.

Working as well as static pressure and flow.
And if it's not great, have it checked at the supplier's stopcock... If it's good there then you will need to look at having it replaced from there to the property.

To provide a hot water supply without a hot water cylinder the combi has to be a complex boiler with pump, secondary heat exchanger and other items compactly assembled ( crammed ) into the casing.
boiler_spec_2-827x1024.jpg

Heatline capriz 2 28c. Around £500 inc flue+vat. Buy from Travis Perkins.

Capriz2 24 (mm) 740 418 300
Capriz2 28 (mm) 740 418 300
And it claims a realistic efficiency rating The Heatline Capriz2 is an ERP A rated boiler and achieves a SEDBUK 2009 efficiency rating of 89.3%.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back