Replacing bath taps- Problem tightening supply hose !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just got some new bath taps-

I took off the old ones and fitted them using the existing flexible supply pipes. However i notice that on the new ones i cannot tighten them as many turns as i could with the old ones.

Once tightened as much as i can, there is still a leak coming around from the supply tap

(See red arrow on pic below)

Do you think there is a slightly different gauge to the thread of the new taps?
Any suggestions appreciated

Pete

Sponsored Links
Heat

I didnt replace the red washers, i should do that i presume.

I dont think i can have overtightend them as i can only do about 1.5 full turns, whereas with the originals it took about 3.5 turns to get them undone.

Would it be an idea to put something on the thread to help lubricate it? (wd40?)

Sponsored Links
Significant leak, but its pretty hard getting in position to really tighten it.

I've bought some dodgy taps i'm sure, I've just tried using a different nut and it still jams. Im sure they havent been finished correctly,it looks like the thread area has been chrome plated, possibly altering the diameter just slightly,
I bought them ex display a while back so looks like i've lost some cash on that!

I bought them ex display a while back so looks like i've lost some cash on that!
You live and learn. I could count on one hand the number of things I've bought and put away then found it was broken when actually come to use it. :cry:

If the tap end of the flexy connector has a rubber seal, try using a correct diameter fibre washer.
John :)

Is it just me, or does that look like a crossed thread to anyone else? The end of the flexi appears to sit at an angle to the tap tail - the two should be concentric.

I would take the tap out of the tub, and try assembling the joint to the flexi 'on the bench' where it's easy to get at everything. If the union nut won't easily run up the tap tail far enough to clamp the flexi tight and square, then it's doubtful it ever will when you're grubbing around under a bathtub!

For same reason, where possible I try to assemble taps and the pipework connecting them before fitting the tub, hooking it up to the rest of the fixed pipework somewhere easily accessible with a pair of service valves.

Agree with previous post take taps out to have a good look.

Thickness of nut shows you should get several revolutions before it tightens somethingsd definately amiss.

Yes

Tickly i tried fitting the nut with the taps off the bath and it still
wouldnt tighten, and it was straight on, no crossed thread. This is both hot and cold taps so im sure it was the taps. I can put the old ones on and off no probs, so i conclude its the taps

I took it back to the shop i got it and they are replacing the taps for new (these ones have been discontinued apparently)

the thread seems to be chrome plated, maybe this has increrased the diameter slightly,

Anyhow cheers for the help

my moneys on a cross thread AND your washer has fallen out before you tightened :p

my moneys on a cross thread AND your washer has fallen out before you tightened :p

Lol im an amateur yes but not Frank Spencer....!

It turns out it was the taps, got a brand new set and fitted them no problems

Cheers for the advice all !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back