Replacing brake pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Need to replace most of the pipes on a 97 bmw 316. I think i know how to do it. Except the manual states that the hoses/lines linking the master cylinder and the accumilator must not be disturbed otherwise its a garage job. I don't whether it has one (bmw 316se (E36) abs 1997). I was going to replace a line at a time,capping each connection temporailt with a small piece of brake pipe each time. When all replaced, replace and refil and bleed the whole system in order. Foegive my ignorance please but will i be able to do this or does anyone think the way i described. I know hpe to make up and flare the new pipes.
Any advice greatly appreaciated.

Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Need to replace most of the pipes on a 97 bmw 316. I think i know how to do it. Except the manual states that the hoses/lines linking the master cylinder and the accumilator must not be disturbed otherwise its a garage job. I don't whether it has one (bmw 316se (E36) abs 1997). I was going to replace a line at a time,capping each connection temporailt with a small piece of brake pipe each time. When all replaced, replace and refil and bleed the whole system in order. Foegive my ignorance please but will i be able to do this or does anyone think the way i described. I know hpe to make up and flare the new pipes.
Any advice greatly appreaciated.

Pete

I would be inclined to get several garage estimates, with brakes you cannot be too careful.
Your own life you can put at risk, but now way do you have the right to put other peoples lives at risk also.

Wotan

It's probably a case of making sure you dont get air into the accumulator as i know with some cars you need to plug it into the computer to purge the air from the abs unit.
Make sure you get a flare nut wrench too, save alot of agro over using a normal open end spanner

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thaks for the replies so far.
It failed the mot on 4 small pieces at the rear last time, so i just thought i would replace the rest to be sure.
I have the flaring tool, new nuts and a spanner.
Re the air in the acummilator - if i just replace one at a time capping off each in turn so the resovoir stays full am i correct in thinking that no air should get in to the rest of the system ? Then i was going to re bleed as soon as a new one was put on, each time, then hopefully by the time i am finished it should have just about new brake fluid as well.

Thanks

Pete

If the break fluid reservior feeds the ABS accumulator (sp) then I would have thought if you seal this (say with cling film between the cap and reservior) it will cause a vacum thus stopping the travel of fluid through the accumulator.

Also unless you have all the materials and tools for the job you may find that a local motor factor will make the pipes up for pennies extra as long as you take the old ones in as a pattern (this is just to check for length and and fittings) not bends as this you can do as the copper pipe is very flexible.

HTH

Jeremy

if they were replaced last time dude then no need for replacement, if your worried about them that much then treat them with grease for preservation- other than that- you wouldnt replace every bulb on your car or each bush just incase they might fail for mot- so wait for them to fail or advise. kind regards

Back