Replacing Central heating radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to replace and update my central heating radiators.
Ideally they will be approximate the same width and height to suit existing flow and return pipes.
I have used an online BTU calculator for each room to determine what I need.
I will be fitting TRVs throughout.
If I fit the same size as existing and use a type22 double panel double fin radiator its BTU is higher than those older radiators fitted.

Question:
If I fit a Type 22 radiator and throttle it down with the TRV, does this present any problems.

What I want to avoid is a radiator that does not warm the room up in very cold weather and obviously don't want to fit a lesser performance radiator and find that the room does not come up to temperature.

Also...I don't want the boiler to continue to heat lower performance radiators; hence using more gas and more expense.

I would appreciate some expert advice; Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Question:
If I fit a Type 22 radiator and throttle it down with the TRV, does this present any problems.
No but you might want to read the FAQ on balancing and adjust the flow using the lockshield instead. The TRv is for temp control not balancing.

What I want to avoid is a radiator that does not warm the room up in very cold weather and obviously don't want to fit a lesser performance radiator and find that the room does not come up to temperature.
A larger output radiator will provide more heat. However, can the boiler cope with the extra heat required and are the pipes sized correctly.

Also...I don't want the boiler to continue to heat lower performance radiators; hence using more gas and more expense.
If a room needs 3kw to heat it, it needs 3kw whether its from a small rad or a large one. Only the time taken to heat the room will chage with a larger radiator.

I don't know what type / age of house you have, but I've found nearly every radiator I've changed in my 1920/30s house, the plaster is cracked / loose behind the radiator.

As I've replastered too, it's not been an issue, but just something to be aware of

It doesn't matter what size the radiators are. The boiler is sized to the heat loss of the house.

Sponsored Links

I would appreciate some expert advice; Thank you.

Contrary to what you seem to think you only pay for the heat provided by your rads whatever their size.

There is no such thing as "low performance" rads. They are all 100% efficient!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back