Replacing centrifugal bathroom fan - Part P/Ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A couple of questions in one, I want to change the very old centrifugal fan in my bathroom - which I had a look at once and is connected by ducting to a ventilation shaft that runs through my block of flats.

First; just wanted to check - is it ok to replace the fan under part p, it sits above the toilet (and is an old silovent connected with ducting to the toilet!). i know i can change the light it is connected to for a similar model but how do i work out what is similar, and

Second; can i use the existing ducting - or should I replace it if it is really old?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it ok to replace the fan under part p, it sits above the toilet (and is an old silovent connected with ducting to the toilet!). i know i can change the light it is connected to for a similar model but how do i work out what is similar
Assuming that you are competent, you are allowed to replace electrical items without notifying your LABC. So exchange the fan you have for one that has the same wiring connections. There will be at least two connections switched live and neutral, with possibly a permanent live (if the fan runs on for a time after being switched off) and a earth (probably just terminated and not required)

Can I use the existing ducting- or should I replace it if it is really old?
Age has nothing to do with it really, the condition of the duct would be more important. If it has holes in or is squashed, damaged or has rotted then change it. If it's sound, leave it be.

thanks for the reply, when you say competent do you mean fully qualified electrician - or just diyer competent?

Sponsored Links
never understood that..

tie a brick to a piece of string and throw it out in front of you as far as you can...
then walk backwards ( over the cleared ground behind you ) dragging the brick over the mines...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back