Replacing chunky plug sockets with smaller ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know when you get those chunky white plug sockets with deep plastic casing that comes out from wall some inches, seemingly unnecessarily (or is it necessary?)....

It is very inconvenient, particularly in kitchen, when your washing machine or dishwasher comes out to far underneath bunker as a result. Is it easy enough and do'able to just swap them over for a more flat plate type of plug socket? Or are there in these thick casings for good reasons?

Sponsored Links
@Adam_151 yeah exactly that type of thing. In some cases I have single sockets that have even more plastic casing depth than that, to the point where the whole overall plug socket size is almost square shaped.

Sponsored Links
Plug or socket which are you talking about? There were plugs which were very slim, but the safety insulator on the live pins stopped there production, so only option now is move socket to an adjacent cupboard, which also means you can access and unplug before removing the machine.

The alternative is to chop into the wall. https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/6339 These are boxes for flush sockets and are sunk into the wall, 25mm is the minimum for a socket, but some USB sockets may need 32mm.

Both surface and flush boxes come in standard depths of 16, 25, 32 and 47mm

So this is the socket under kitchen bunker looking to reduce in depth size. Currently its home to an old freestanding chest freezer and would like to put a dishwasher in the space. Conveniently once upon a time there was a dishwasher in the space in the past, so there is easy plumbing options. However all the dishwasher depths are 59cm-60cm minimum, so I am looking at it coming out 3cm-4cm beyond the bunker/counter surface. There is potential for me to reduce how far the dishwasher protrudes by 2cm if I can reduce the plug socket depth.

Attachments

• 20231105_092724.jpg
    20231105_092724.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 71
So?

That is typical kitten fitter stuff. It looks like the cable comes in to the box from behind. You would need to chop a hole in the wall and fit a back box. How to do that will depend on what the socket box is mounted on. It may not be too difficult if its plaster, or wood. Tile would be a different matter....

Personally I would move the socket to the next cupboard, working in that space to let the back box into the wall will not be easy, well personally I have the dish washer sticking out a few inches, it's handy to put food on out of the microwave and be still able to close microwave door. When kitchen is redone we will get deeper work top fitted, so pipes etc go behind the cupboard backs.

It is a sore point between wife and I as I say no new kitchen until she clears the counters, and she says that's why she wants a new kitchen, but came to put shopping away and found 14 jars of coffee, that's why not enough cupboard space, it's not the size of cupboards.

It is a sore point between wife and I as I say no new kitchen until she clears the counters, and she says that's why she wants a new kitchen, but came to put shopping away and found 14 jars of coffee, that's why not enough cupboard space, it's not the size of cupboards.

I like to keep good stocks of any foodstuff which doesn't go off, and at the moment, buying such is a good investment the way food prices are increasing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back