Moving A Plug Sockets Beneath The Kitchen Worktop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In 2 corners of our kitchen there is a twin electrical socket.

The washing machine is plugged into one of them and dishwasher plugged into the other one.

Both washers sit beneath the worktop with the flex and plug coming through a slot in the wall to get to the socket.

I was hoping to put a spur from each of the 2 sockets that would be positioned underneath the worktop and the washer and dishwasher could be plugged into them instead of coming through the worktop to the existing sockets.

I have taken the fronts off of the 2 sockets and this is what I have found.

There is just one cable entering the socket so I don't think it is a ring main, so from what I have read, I am not able to spur from these.
I am not sure whether they are spurs or another kind of circuit.

In this situation, I wondered what options I have.
Could I reduce the sockets above the worktop to single sockets and then fit one under the worktop?

Any help and suggestions you guys have would be very gratefullt accepted.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What size fuse/mcb controls them ?

If its a 16/20/25A you can do whatever you want really.

If its a 32A then they could well be spurs off a ring, so they can't be spured off a spur.

I think this thread could get interesting :confused:

I'm no electrical expert so wait on others replies, but...

I believe you can't have sockets under the worktop unless you can switch them off from above the worktop. So I think it would be possible to remove your existing double socket and change it to a single switched fused spur, something like this...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/marbo-13a-dp-switched-fused-connection-unit-white/27148

...and then fit a socket under the worktop fed from this fused spur. I don't know enough to say whether the new socket underneath could be a double or not tho. And obviously you would lose the socket above the worktop altogether in this scenario.

Another thing which would physically fit is a cooker switch with a single socket, like this...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-2-gang-45a-cooker-switch-with-13a-switched-plug-socket-white/30955

...which would achieve a single socket above the worktop and a socket (again, I don't know whether double or not) under the worktop. This might not meet regs tho.

I stress that my knowledge is limited so wait on the pro's, but I hope it helps in the meantime.

What size fuse/mcb controls them ?

If its a 16/20/25A you can do whatever you want really.

If its a 32A then they could well be spurs off a ring, so they can't be spured off a spur.

I think this thread could get interesting :confused:

Our house was built on the 70s I believe and has one of the older fuse boxes with 4 fuses. A 5A, 30A, 30A and another 30A.

One of the sockets is fused by 30A fuse number 2 and the other by 30A fuse number 3.

Sponsored Links
They are both spurs, hopefully directly from the ring and not from other spurs elsewhere.
Therefore you can't add any more sockets, but you could move the existing ones.
However this is not a solution as that would leave you with no sockets where they are now. You would also need to add RCD protection to the circuits, as it is unlikely you already have this, and with 2 circuits that will not be a trivial matter either.

You could fit a 32a switch in place on the exiting socket and move the socket below the worktop. The socket would be controlled by the switch, this would comply with regs.

Kind regards,

DS

We need a socket at both positions as one is used for the kettle and one is used for the microwave.

Well, if you require 4 sockets and it would appear you are refurbishing your kitchen, i would advise you get an electrician to extend your existing RF to acccomodate your needs.

Kind Regards,

DS

Thanks John. ... Well, barring any more replies coming in it does look like my cunning plan wasn't so cunning after all. :(
You're welcome. I fear that Baldrick could have warned you that such is often true of 'cunning plans' :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back