Replacing cloak room toilet and basin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post on the DIYnot forums so please take it easy on me :) I’ve done a little diy plumbing in the past but I’m still very much a novice.

I need to replace a pair of radiator valves and remove a basin/sink in our cloakroom, however, our central heating system is different to the one in our last house. We now have a traditional boiler (not a combi-boiler) in the garage and an emersion tank (one of those sealed cilinder units) in an airing cupboard upstairs. I believe we also have two water tanks in the loft, I assume ones for the hot water and the other is for C/H.

Can someone please confirm the steps below are correct:

1. Turn off the boiler and emersion.
2. Turn off the water mains to the house.
3. Disable the ball cocks in both tanks in the loft.
4. Drain the cold and hot water taps.
5. Drain the CH.
6. Remove radiator valves and fir new ones.
7. Remove basin, cut hot & cold pipes and fit compression valves.
8. Turn on water mains.
9. Re-enable both ball cocks and allow tanks to fill.
10. Turn on boiler and emersion.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, forgot to mention... i managed to remove the toilet fairly easily as there was a compression valve already installed.

you may not have to drain tanks in loft,should be valves fitted to turn supply from tanks off,should be red wheel/lever

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back