Replacing concrete with shingle - possible drainage issues?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I'm planning to remove the dull concrete from the size of our house but have a couple of questions about it.

Firstly as you can see from the pictures there is a bit of a slope towards the drain from all angles which I presume is also how the land is underneath it too. I'm intending to put shingles/gravel over in this area once it is done so should I work in a trench going towards the drain (yellow in the picture).
If I do do this, how should the trench be linked to the drain or should I just let it seep into the ground?

The concrete is 4" thick so is it best to use a jackhammer to get all of this up? What precautions should I take around the outdoor drain cover?

Finally, for the gravel I plan to put down some hardcore to get the right level followed by some garden membrane and finally the shingle, is this the right way to do it?

Thanks for any answers...

Sponsored Links
the reason it slopes down to teh drain is because the surface water cant run down through the concrete. Remove the concrete and you should have permeable ground underneath, so drainage wont be an issue, and you wont need a trench

Areas like this are often varying thickness as its not high tolerance work. If you have a heavy (14lbs) sledge it would probably do. If it is a constant 4" you may need a bigger kango/ demo hammer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back