Replacing conservatory roof as its too noisey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few queries.

I want to remove the conservatory roof and small side windows that run on top of the high wall on the left back to the house (you cant see them on the photo) leaving the doors and adjacent windows in place see attached photos then build up the wall on the left a few courses up to door height and put a new quieter slate roof with hips to the front on vaulted timber rafters so I have a pitched ceiling inside. The conservatory roof sits on the wall on the right is the existing house wall how this is supported i cant tell. Could someone advise on the following

1) what size timbers would I need for the rafters and at what spacings between (building is 2870mm internal width) and pitch will be 25 degrees

2) how would I support the rafter ends on the right side that would in effect butt upto the existing house wall.

3) what would be used as a lintel over the double doors with the adjacent windows to the front elevation to support hipped roof as there will be a couple of courses of brick to go over these to doors (shown in black on marked up image) to make up the height once upvc conservatory roof and gable is removed.

4) how thick would the roof insulation need to be to meet current regs.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• external.JPG
    external.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 328
  • internal (1).JPG
    internal (1).JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 284
  • internal close up.JPG
    internal close up.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 316
  • external marked up.JPG
    external marked up.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am not a builder but I have a conservatory with timber rafter in, it as 2 course of 2x4 timber over the door and windows, the windows and door are screw to it also the timber rafter sit on it. Hope this helps.

If you are going to change the polycarbonate roof to tile roof you need to let building control know, they would want to know if your footing is deep enough and that the windows and door can take the new weight. This is something I wanted to do to mine but when I spoke to my building control they say it turning it into an extension and they would want footing at 1m but mine is 600mm.

I am in the process on changing the rafter as they are rotten and my builder told me to put 8x2 rafter in they have 6x2 at the moment so I hoping my footing can take it, the builder say it will as he just finish building a very large garden room with 4" hardcore and 150mm concrete slab.

How about turning it into an orangery with a flat roof and a central lantern or velux?

You would need a nice decorative fascia and gutter to make it look nice.

Turning what you have into a pitched tiled roof would be complicated as you have that box gutter to deal with.

Also you would need to create hips so the front could be tiled and then the loading of the hips and restraint at the corners becomes a bit of an issue. All doable if you are a skilled chippie that can pitch roofs but tricky for a first timer.

The orangery option solves the box gutter issue straight away, and the dimensions mean you could use standard C24 timbers for the lantern beams and trimmers.

Sponsored Links
How about turning it into an orangery with a flat roof and a central lantern or velux?

You would need a nice decorative fascia and gutter to make it look nice.

Turning what you have into a pitched tiled roof would be complicated as you have that box gutter to deal with.

Also you would need to create hips so the front could be tiled and then the loading of the hips and restraint at the corners becomes a bit of an issue. All doable if you are a skilled chippie that can pitch roofs but tricky for a first timer.

The orangery option solves the box gutter issue straight away, and the dimensions mean you could use standard C24 timbers for the lantern beams and trimmers.

Hi I know this isn't my thread but would turning this into an orangery come under building control as a friend suggest this to me too but I am worried about my footing which is only 600mm.

Hi I know this isn't my thread but would turning this into an orangery come under building control as a friend suggest this to me too but I am worried about my footing which is only 600mm.

No it wouldnt.

Building regs once defined a conservatoty as 50% glazing to walls, 75% roof.

That definition has been dropped.

What you can do is email building control at your local authority and ask them:

I am proposing to make some alterations to my existing conservatory as follows, please could you confirm that you would consider the new structure to be exempt:

'Replace the the fully glazed roof with an orangery style flat roof with a central lantern.
The completed structure will be substantially glazed to sides and roof.
The structure will be thermally separate from the house and will have its own heating system.'

If they write back to say yes you are good to go.

If you are thinking of fitting a tiled roof, the same thing applies anyway.

No it wouldnt.

What you can do is email building control at your local authority and ask them:

I am proposing to make some alterations to my existing conservatory as follows, please could you confirm that you would consider the new structure to be exempt:

'Replace the the fully glazed roof with an orangery style flat roof with a central lantern.
The completed structure will be substantially glazed to sides and roof.
The structure will be thermally separate from the house and will have its own heating system.'

If they write back to say yes you are good to go.

If you are thinking of fitting a tiled roof, the same thing applies anyway.
OK thanks for the info, have you done anything like this for anyone?

I will write them once I replace my doors as I didn't put any on went the gave me permission to open up the windows to door plus I have central heating which they know about they told me to put vault on.

Hi, yes weve done lots of orangery projects without building regs. I just email building control with a drawing and spec and then once theyve written back I forward to the client. Its a bit of a grey area really, an email isnt proof they are saying its exempt, but there is no official method to get confirmation lije there is with permitted development.

To be honest I prefer to do projects under building regs, then it means that our builders have their foundation work independently checked. It stops any 'weve gone down 600mm and tge ground is solid enough'......

Hi, yes weve done lots of orangery projects without building regs. I just email building control with a drawing and spec and then once theyve written back I forward to the client. Its a bit of a grey area really, an email isnt proof they are saying its exempt, but there is no official method to get confirmation lije there is with permitted development.

To be honest I prefer to do projects under building regs, then it means that our builders have their foundation work independently checked. It stops any 'weve gone down 600mm and tge ground is solid enough'......
I did call my building regs a few day ago he said they want foundation 1m mine is 600mm ring beam with steal. but I will give it a try. I know you cant give a proper quote with out seeing the conservatory but can you tell me what sort of figure I am looking at for a 5310 x 4440 its a lean to thanks

Strictly speaking that was part of the definition of an *exempt* conservatory. Not all conservatories are exempt (for example over 30m2). A conservatory is still a substantially glazed structure in the first place.

So the best option for me is to just email building control here and ask them the questions in my opening post? will they charge for this service or is it free?

I never even considered the foundations not being able to take the change in weight regarding the roofs new mass. If its not suitable what can i do to the foundations to make them suitable without knocking the whole thing down and starting again?

Thanks

So the best option for me is to just email building control here and ask them the questions in my opening post? will they charge for this service or is it free?

I never even considered the foundations not being able to take the change in weight regarding the roofs new mass. If its not suitable what can i do to the foundations to make them suitable without knocking the whole thing down and starting again?
Thanks

Its up to your building reg, read this, https://www.labc.co.uk/sites/default/files/Solid-roof-conservatories-guide-labc_0.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back