Replacing conventional switch with a dimmer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a conventional 2G 1W switch with a 2G 1W dimmer switch. When I opened the old switch I was faced with the following wiring...

Why is there a connecting wire between both L1s? Is it because the switches are on a loop?

To replace this switch with a dimmer - Is it just a case of wiring the dimmer switch in the same way? (careful labelling required as all the wires are red!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It cerainly looks like it is done that way, you have L1 on your switch is the common terminal. On your dimmer it might be a ~ with a line through it. L2 on your switch is more than likely going to be L1 on your dimmer. You need the link wire yeah, otherwise other lights on the circuit won't work.

Thanks for the green light.

Mood lighting here we come!

I will tackle it with confidence in the absence of competence :LOL:

oh, and make sure the dimmer is suitably rated for the lamp load

Sponsored Links
I've got 200W worth of GU10 on one switch and 200W of standard bulbs on the other. I've read somewhere that I need to double the Halogen load, so I've gone for a 2G 1W 2x400W dimmer.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back