Replacing Corner Fence Post (8ft) 4"x4"

I would personally pour it wet. But it makes no odds. Postcrete has an additive that makes it set rapidly so you don't really want to be adding water until the last minute. Normal concrete will stay workable for quite a while and you'll need to support the post by screwing a couple lengths of timber to the sides and fix these down to the ground by leaving a bag of sand on them or heavy weight such as a concrete block.

Sponsored Links
i will be using postcrete for the rest of the fencing (posts are 4"x4") , the posts hole will be just over 2ft deep . the instructions on postcrete(Hansons) says to place rubble/broken bricks around the base of post. how much of the hole do i need to fill with rubble so that the concrete sets at around ground level or can i add some at the same time as the mix as required.

this is all quite new to me and instructions are important! thanks

Either or. Would be worth buying a few bags of pea shingle in case you dig the holes slightly oversize, it's a cheap way to bulk up the postcrete mix.

I usually use a large brick either side of the post to wedge it in the hole, then add a bit of concrete, bit of rubble, bit of concrete etc etc.

we only ever fill a hole completeley with concrete. much better job and stronger

Sponsored Links
wabbitpoo, if i were to increase the depth of hole by 12" (from 2ft 6 to 3ft 6 and length of post by 12"(to 10ft), would that mean i could leave the concrete 12" below ground level so that less concrete is used and seen, i would still slope away from post but backfill with soil.

How do you dig the hole deeper yet use less concreat?
Listen to these guys on here they will put you strait.
And dont try and save money on this.
Do the job right the first time and you only have to do it once.

How do you dig the hole deeper yet use less concreat?

less concrete would be used as the diameter of the hole at ground level is around 3ft, go down 12" and the diameter is halved. But i agree i have received good advice but just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

i think my solution is o.k as i have just taken ground level down 1ft, but not sure if i want to take backand replace my 2.7m post with 3.m

its peanuts, are you really worried about the amount of concrete, its a few bags of ballast and some cement. not even a barrow load

No not worried about the cost of the extra concrete but the post stability . someone suggested digging deeper...might just be a better/tidier solution.

You are making a real meal out of: dig hole/stand up post/add wet concrete.

Where are you in London? I'll come round tomorrow and do it for you, will be quicker in the long run than getting drawn into the Spanish Inquisition. (Which to be honest, I didn't expect!)

Decided to go for 3m post and deeper hole.

Due to the amount of concrete required- took best part of a day( even with a mixer, but must admit did chuck in a few bits of large rubble towards the end to save time!). Not sure yet how to backfill,

this newbie DIYer hopes it lasts a long time. (BTW thanks all for your contributions. very much appreciated!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back