Replacing DECT phone batteries with lithium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Panasonic DECT phone that has Ni-Cad batteries in (2x AAA). They are 7 years old and now definitely at the end of their life.

Can I replace with lithium equivalents, or will this cause problems with the phones charger?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Lithium cells must not be charged on a NiCad charger.

Each battery chemistry type has a unique charging profile. Put a battery in the wrong type of charger and at best you'll end up discharging it to the point where it becomes useless because of the wrong charging voltage, or you'll over-charge it and end up with a mini bomb (yes, seriously) if it gets in to thermal runaway.

As Handymanjo said, replace like for like (chemistry, size/voltage, capacity/mAh) and go for a decent brand. //www.diynot.com/diy/members/handymanjo.235391/

Thanks all, and Lucid for the explanation of the potential consequences!

I have now ordered a set of Philips Ni-Cad re-chargeable batteries!

Sponsored Links
Did not know you could still get NiCad batteries thought they were only allowed for military and medical use now? The NiCad had many types of charger. There was the very low trickle, and there were heat triggered, and the good quality delta V charger. The phone is likely to use either low trickle or Delta V. The low trickle will likely still work OK with AA and AAA batteries, but the threshold of the Delta V is lower for NiMh batteries. With the computers, (Dell), Planes (Bowing), and Phones all going on fire, the NiMh battery does seem to have a problem.

Under the so-called "batteries directive" (2006/66/EC), the sale of consumer Ni–Cd batteries has now been banned within the European Union except for medical use; alarm systems; emergency lighting; and portable power tools. This last category has been banned effective 2016. Under the same EU directive, used industrial Ni–Cd batteries must be collected by their producers in order to be recycled in dedicated facilities.

So 7 year old should have been NiMh to start with, they were banned in 2006.

So 7 year old should have been NiMh to start with, they were banned in 2006.

Nothing to say they weren't old stock when I bought the phones I guess. In fact quite likely as they were discounted!

Wow, they lasted 7 years! Definitely get the same again!

During that time the phones got very little use generally, and then spent 1 1/2 years in a box after we moved house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back