Replacing dimmer with a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i've got a similar problem. I had a dimmer switch which i wanted to replace with a one way light switch. They are our main lights in our frontroom and are also controlled by another 3 gang switch on the other side of the room (1 for main light and the other 2 are side lights). i've removed the dimmer and fitted the new switch in the same way as the dommer (1 wire into L1 and the other into com) but it doesn't work and now the switch on the 3 gang doesn't work either, but the side lights are ok. Any ideas why it isn't working?

Sponsored Links
I had a dimmer switch which i wanted to replace with a one way light switch. They are our main lights in our frontroom and are also controlled by another 3 gang switch on the other side of the room (1 for main light and the other 2 are side lights). i've removed the dimmer and fitted the new switch in the same way as the dommer (1 wire into L1 and the other into com) but it doesn't work and now the switch on the 3 gang doesn't work either, but the side lights are ok. Any ideas why it isn't working?

It isn't working because you've wired it wrong. You mention wires into L1 and com, but becaue this switch is part of a two-way circuit the previous dimmer must have been connected by three wires. What have you done with the third?

I had a dimmer switch which i wanted to replace with a one way light switch. They are our main lights in our frontroom and are also controlled by another 3 gang switch on the other side of the room (1 for main light and the other 2 are side lights). i've removed the dimmer and fitted the new switch in the same way as the dommer (1 wire into L1 and the other into com) but it doesn't work and now the switch on the 3 gang doesn't work either, but the side lights are ok. Any ideas why it isn't working?

It isn't working because you've wired it wrong. You mention wires into L1 and com, but becaue this switch is part of a two-way circuit the previous dimmer must have been connected by three wires. What have you done with the third?

It wasn't connected to the dimmer, thats why i just copied it :oops: The other red wire is isolated with tape round it. There is also an earh wire, that is earthed to the box inside.

So i just put the two red wires into COM and the Black wire goes into L1?

I've just rewired it back to how it was and it is working again- black wire into com and red into L1. There is nowhere to put the other red wire into the dimmer as L2 looks to have fallen out.

Sponsored Links
I don't know? It was like that when i moved in. As i said the other red wire is isolated with insulating tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back