Suitable dimmer switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking for a dimmer switch to control my lighting (LEDs) in my living room. Essentially I have two lights with two switches (each switch either side of the room). The lights are either both on or both off. Is this one gang two way, or two gang two way?

I've had a look at one of the current switches and there's three wires going to L1 three, to L2 and three to C - I'm not sure why? Can someone recommend me a suitable dimmer switch that can replace one of the current switches and control both lights? Also any advice on wiring will be useful!

Sponsored Links
I'm looking for a dimmer switch to control my lighting (LEDs) in my living room.
Are they dimmable?

Until you establish that for certain, and find out what type of dimmer, there's not much anybody here can do for you.

Essentially I have two lights with two switches (each switch either side of the room). The lights are either both on or both off. Is this one gang two way, or two gang two way?
One gang, two gang, three gang...:

MKK4870.JPG
MKK4872.JPG
MKK4873.JPG

"Two-way" means you have two locations from which you can switch a light.

I've had a look at one of the current switches and there's three wires going to L1 three, to L2 and three to C - I'm not sure why?
Well, you really, really, REALLY should be sure.

Nobody is forcing you to do this - you are making a decision to do electrical work, so it behoves you to actually know how it works. Really know and genuinely understand.

Trying do do it without truly knowing what you are doing, possibly by hoping to follow instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without knowing why is a foolish idea.

You have that many conductors at the switch because you have two lights and 2-way switching - it really is to be expected.

Can someone recommend me a suitable dimmer switch that can replace one of the current switches and control both lights?
Will you be happy with the situation where if you go to turn the lights on using the switch and not the new dimmer, they will come on at the level the dimmer has them set to, so if that's not what you want you'll have to go to the dimmer to change it?

Also any advice on wiring will be useful!
q.v.

Bear in mind that if you change how wires are currently connected to switches and/or each other you should not be surprised, or dismayed, if things no longer work the way they currently do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back