Replacing doorstep/cill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the door cill of an outside door which is in poor condition. The rest of the frame is fine but as the whole frame was presumably originally installed together as an assembly, can I cut out the cill and replace it? The snag is how to fix it because to screw it down into the wall would mean drilling through the dpc which is laid below the cill.

Sponsored Links
no mechanical fixings through into the brickwork the legs off the frame tend to hold cill often set into cement

i would expect the bottoms off the side are rotten as well take a screwdriver and check

in general you need to tie the cill and frame together
have you got a picture off the inside /outside off the bottom off the frame
and does the cill extend ito the wall !!

Take a look at some of the "similar topics" below. This is a common problem, but not one with an ideal simple solution. The best fixing you can hope for is to skew screw the new cill to the uprights (assuming they're OK) from the inside. Far better to take the whole frame out to repair/replace it.

Sponsored Links
The uprights are ok just the step has gone a bit manky. The cill does extend into the brickwork so need to chip it out although some of it has fallen out anyway!

Looks like skew screwing is the best way to attack the problem.

(still trying to work out how to post piccies!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back