Replacing electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to order a new electric oven to replace our old AEG one. It is still working (fitted when the house was built circa 1989) but the grill is about to fall out of the roof as the supports have rusted and it's getting a bit dangerous.

Read some threads of the same name and believe it should be replaced by someone Part P certified as it is 'notifiable'. Found a local electrician who will do it for £25 but yet to try a bit of bartering.

Is it illegal for me to wire in the new one, and would it invalidate my warranty?

The electrics in the house have always been fine and the old cooker seems to have been wired in properly (pics).

180000_179283_40474_32883479_thumb.jpg

180000_179283_40475_47976458_thumb.jpg

180000_179283_40476_68853598_thumb.jpg

PP

Sponsored Links
Read some threads of the same name and believe it should be replaced by someone Part P certified as it is 'notifiable'.
Not notifiable

Is it illegal for me to wire in the new one
Not illegal, provided you install it correctly.

Found a local electrician who will do it for £25 but yet to try a bit of bartering.
Are you honestly saying you will try to get someone to do this for less?

You do not need an electrician to connect the new oven to the outlet. But you must work safely using proper isolation. The connections must be sound and correct then you will have no problem. If you feel not competant/confident to do it then an electrician will be safer.

Cheers for the replies flameport / ricicle.

Are you honestly saying you will try to get someone to do this for less?

Yeah sure! Why not? I will remove the old oven and connections so its 10 minutes work to connect the new one and I can slot it back on the shelf etc myself too. Just don't want any dodgy wiring. And the guy lives round the corner!

He can say No if he likes, but I always ask :)

Sponsored Links

This isn't good. Those extension plugs put too much pressure on the contacts when more than one item is plugged into it. I'd get a quote for at least a couple of extra sockets from the £25 man (I wouldn't barter that price either, there comes a point when a job's not worthwhile doing and you could find he might not bother!).

This isn't good

Yeah, I did think it might get a mention! Not quite hall of fame territory tho.

This adapter fits really snug, there is no movement, and the plugs don't pull it down, so it's been fine for years. The whole kitchen needs replacing in the next couple of years tho so it will get a new layout and everything renewed then.

I've struggled to find a plumber or electrician who can fit a programmer to my boiler but finally got hold of a sparky who does them regularly so he will just do the oven too, won't need '£25 man' in the end.

Found a local electrician who will do it for £25 but yet to try a bit of bartering.

You wanna pay peanuts you should know what you are likely to get... if you tried 'bartering' me down from what is already peanuts I would not turn up even if you agreed on the measly £25.

just wire it yaself, it wont catch fire, everything will be fine, sleep tight.

Hope the fella you have got to do both charges you plenty. Merry chrimbo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back