Replacing Electric Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to replace my electric oven. The old oven had a 13A plug which plugged into a socket in an adjacent unit under the counter which in turn is connected to a cooker switch on the wall. There is also a (6600W) hob that is connected directly to the cooker switch. There is a 32A cooker circuit in the consumer unit. I would prefer to just replace the oven with another I can plug in if possible. If I want an oven with a plug what would I need to take into consideration with regard to power specification with a new one?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's supplied with a plug, it can plug in.
If not then it's wired in, which is achieved by replacing the socket with a connection plate.

Actual choice of oven is unrelated.

Sponsored Links
Ignore the advice of TimboTwo above then?

I think he was saying that if it is less than 3kw, a 13 amp plug (and 1.5mm flex will be fine).

I have never seen a fitted oven supplied with a flex though, you will need to buy some, and a plug.

He was not incorrect but, yes, you can ignore it because you don't have to look for that - just whether it has a plug or not.

I don't understand your reply.

Many fitted devices are supplied without plugs, but often have a plug and flex fitted at the the time of installation. An example that springs to mind is hob extractor hoods. They often utilise a socket hidden in the "chimney" part of the hood.

Why would the above be any different?

You know that I respect you as a contributor. With respect, perhaps your reply is an example of excessive brevity.

I have never seen a fitted oven supplied with a flex though, you will need to buy some, and a plug.
Well, some definitely do come with flex and plug.

I thought all items that could be plugged in must come with moulded plug already fitted.

Well, some definitely do come with flex and plug.

I thought all items that could be plugged in must come with moulded plug already fitted.

My lay understanding is that the original EU directive only applied to "portable" devices. Not sure how you define that that though. I guess it means devices that might be reasonably moved around a property by a consumer. Fitted ovens tend not to be considered as "portable".

BTW, the plug does not (legally) have to be moulded.

I may well be wrong about all of the above though.

Cheers.

My lay understanding is that the original EU directive only applied to "portable" devices. Not sure how you define that that though.
Mmm Washing machines?

I guess it means devices that might be reasonably moved around a property by a consumer. Fitted ovens tend not to be considered as "portable".
True.

BTW, the plug does not (legally) have to be moulded.
Ok.

I may well be wrong about all of the above though.
I might be wrong as well, then.

(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back