Replacing electric towel rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm replacing a towel rail in the bathroom to one a little taller and moving up to 250W.

The cable from the existing one goes through the wall into a FSU in another room.

The ring main is RCD protected.

I really want to have this on a timer so my question is which is the best option :

1) Replace the FSU with one with a timer (and 3A fuse)

2) Or should I replace the FSU with an unswitched RCD socket, put a plug (3A fuse) on the end of the towel rail cable and then plug that into a normal plug in timer which will then go in the RCD socket. Is having an RCD socket overkill as the ring main already gives this 30mA protection?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
There is no need for additional RCD protection, if a functional 30mA RCD already exists on the circuit. Even though the second RCD is downstream of the circuit RCD, that would not automatically mean one would trip before the other under fault conditions.
I would personally go for the timed FCU, although quite pricey.

Timed FCU is better all round, despite being pricey. A socket + plug in timer is an ugly as sin alternative.

Timeguard do a nice digital timed spur (at least I'm pretty sure its them) super easy to program

Thanks very much for your replies.

I was thinking that it's much nicer to not have a socket and things plugged into it.

I was looking even cheaper and going for www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L91XD2G - apart from the "boost" button, it seems to have good reviews!

Thanks again to you both.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your replies.

I was thinking that it's much nicer to not have a socket and things plugged into it.

I was looking even cheaper and going for www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L91XD2G - apart from the "boost" button, it seems to have good reviews!

Thanks again to you both.
Greenbrook is the one I was thinking of anyway! Fitted one a couple of weeks ago for some outside lights, super, super easy to program.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back