Replacing element wire on built in oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been to wa friend's house where a service engineer replaced a lower oven element about 3 years ago, in a double built in oven. He replaced one of the spade terminals on the element wiring but did not use a high temperature crimp terminal, resulting in the terminal burning up and damaging a section of wire. The wire is now too short to reconnect to and needs replacing. On removing the fixing screws the oven will only slide out to the edge of the cavity, there's insufficient to lift it fully out. I suggested we replace the supply cable with an adequate length. Now to my question. My friend is sure the engineer removed the lower cavity only ie he was able to slide the innards out without removing the whole oven. Am I being thick as I've removed every screw I can find, or is he mistaken? As it won't budge. I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Make and model of oven?
On some the elements can be replaced from the front by removing one or more parts of the oven lining. Others are fixed in from the back.

On removing the fixing screws the oven will only slide out to the edge of the cavity, there's insufficient to lift it fully out.
If that's true, how was it installed in the first place?

Thanks for your reply flameport, it's no problem accessing the element, which is got to from the front. We need to replace the element wire. Anyway I've decided to lengthen the supply cable, to enable the oven to come out of the cavity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back