Replacing exterior window hinges- some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 70s (Wimpey) house which still has the original windows. Not been in long, so gradually doing all the repairs and things you need to do that hadn't been done in a while here!

One of the (painted) window hinges has obviously had moisture enter it and has become corroded - not just surface corrosion (which I could deal with) but full on delaminating rust , so it will have to be replaced.

Window is side opening with hinges top and bottom - hinges are external to the fram and 'L' shaped with the hinge pivot out from thr frame)

So, I am looking for tips! Should I replace both hinges (can't see getting a replacement for a 30 year old hinge easily - or can I?)? Any tips on sourcing?

Any pitfalls or hurdles? The woodwork seems relatively simple (remove screws, fit new screws) but I've never replaced a window hinge before.

Or is it a job for the professionals?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
pic of said window / hinge would be great.

how to post a pic is in forum information

windowhinge.jpg

This is the same type of hinge (and yes I know it has a little corrosion as well, and the windows need reputtied!)

Difficult to get a good photo of the bad one without getting the ladders out!

(HOuse had lain empty for about 4 years before we moved in, suspect nothing painted for more than 12)

could you not change it to an ordainary brass hinge?
(obviously needs a bit of work)

i did a quick google and did not see yours :cry:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

The downstairs windows have ordinary hinges, I suspect because these are upstairs hinges they are this design to allow the windows to open fully.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back