help replacing side hunge hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the hinge I have bought

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Iro...re+Escape+Hinge+300+x+17mm/d170/sd3183/p11278

The bit that attaches to the frame fits snug into the side of the frame and all the holes line up ok.

I have attached the sash to the other bar using the first screw nearest the hinge pivot point only but am struggling to adjust it so the window closes. With an inch to go, the window gets stuck.

where should the bar that attaches to the sash be placed? (ignoring any holes from the previous hinge)

There is about 1cm of adjustment on the first screw location - If i pull the window closer to the hinge pivot it starts to hide the triangular locator - if I push it away from the pivot - the handle fouls the fixed window.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked it against the old hinge to make sure it has the same length of folding legs? ...pinenot :)

No,

I checked width stack and legth of the bar that fits to the frame - 12" long, 17mm stack, 18mm wide.

The bar that attaches to the sash is shorter, the previous hinge (incorrect as it wasn't egress) I bought was also shorter.

I cannot find a like for like.

The holes on new hinges rarely line up, Just completely disregard them.

Before removing the old hinges I sit the new one next to it so that the overhang at the end will be the same (this should get you fairly close), Then I fit 2 screws put the sash back in and try it, Work out which way it needs to go and by how much then take it out and adjust it. Your aiming for a 3-5mm gap between the edge of the sash and keeps on the frame.

Its just a game of trial and error.

Sponsored Links
As Gazman says normally 3-5mm but this sometimes doesn't work, if you still have the old hinges put one back on using the original holes, you then need to measure the distance of that bit that sticks out past the sash ie 5mm, you then put the new hinge on with the same 5mm overhang, the srcew holes now may not line up, dont worry just form new holes using same length screws. All the best

Even while out of the frame , the hinge won't close past the point in the image without a firm push. Doing this then splays the hinge open before it closes.

You can see in the picture of the locating block that the plastic is riding down the spring bit before seating itself on the marked patch where it rests, and is also bending the hinge. When the hinge is fixed to the frame it obviously can't bend - hence I have already broke the end piece clean of of the first set of hinges I bought.

Got to be the hinges - fitted the non egress ones I had for another window and closes first time!

DH
I first mounted the second set if new egress Hines the way you said to - turned out as pictures above.

Then fitted the standard hinges I bought for the downstairs window in the exact same way. When the locating bit touches there's a bit of resistance, but it pulls shut without excessive force and no feeling of things being ground together.

The new hinges must be faulty. It's like the plastic at the end of the hinge is blocking the travel of the hinge.

Wonder if toolstation will refund the broken ones as well as the set I bought today.

Thanks for the help, still need to find a suitable egress hinge, but at least I know I can do it now. If I had hair, I'd have been pulling it out yesterday.

Today - 30 mins to remove the faulty (new Hinges) - fit new ones - fit window - check it - remove and put in the rest of the screws and refit.

Last night - 4 hours wasted :(

The first screw in that hinge is not adjustable - have you a tip to making sure it's in the exact position? Or would you fit the screw in the elongated hole at the other end first? Which would be easier for adjustment as it's out of the way of the exterior window sill

Try some Vaseline or grease in the corners of the hinges, They sometime wont close properly if they are bone dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back