replacing extractor fan - no switch live cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm replacing an old & noisy bathroom extractor fan...

The old one was a basic one, the new one has a timer (unintentionally purchased).
There new one has a connection for live, switch live and neutral.
There old one only needed live and neutral and there is no switch live cable available

Can I use the new one with the existing wiring?
What's the best way to connect it? (it's not essential for the to work) or am I better to get another basic fan that does not have a timer?

Thanks,
Kat

Sponsored Links
This will still work it will just come on when you switch your light on and go off when you switch off just put the live into the switch live terminal.

connect your live to both the live terminal and the switched live terminal (use a small loop of wire between them)

Connect the incoming live to both the permanent & switched live terminals on the new fan, then it will just turn on & off exactly as the old one did.

Edit: Beat me to it by a few seconds! :D

Sponsored Links
That's brilliant.
Thanks guys - amazing how quickly people reply on here!

cheers,

This will still work it will just come on when you switch your light on and go off when you switch off just put the live into the switch live terminal.
Provided he had originally wired that way. ;)

For most timer fans that are wired as basic fans you will need to provide a link between the switch live and the permanent live. As an example look at the wiring diagram for the vent axia figure 3.

http://www.vent-axia.com/files/pdf-downloads/439014H_0.pdf

There old one only needed live and neutral and there is no switch live cable available
That you think that shows that you don't know much about electrical circuits.

Please spend some time learning - fiddling with electrics when you don't understand what's going on is not a good idea.

ban-all-sheds, that is a fair comment!
Thank you

... but in my defence - I saw that my wires didn't look like they did on the instructions, so I stopped! :eek:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back