Replacing an extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there ... New to the site and wondering if someone can help me.

Am replacing an extractor fan in bathroom that hasn't,t worked since we moved in. The house is 14 years old.

The replacement fan is a basic model (no timer) but the one removed obviously was a timer one since the cable is a three core (red, blue, yellow wires and earth).

My question is how to wire to new fan which obviously only has two connections ... As in for twin core cable ....permanEnt live L and neutral.

Which cable wire should I use for the live ... The permanent or the switched? How do I terminate / do withe the other?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming you'll want to switch it off (as apposed to running 24/7), you're going to need it connected to the switch wire.

Incidentally, the chances are the old fan was okay. It's often the timer that pops it's cloggs first. You could've just by-passed the timer and it would have worked.

Yes do want to turn it off ... Forgot to mention there s an isolator switch outside bathroom... So wire the switched live .... Yellow one right? Into the live connection. What should I do with the other red wire from the three core cable? I was thinking put it into separate terminal and wrap in insulating tape? Ta

Yes that will be fine. You don't need to tape it up though as it is already inside an enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have exactly the same problem, as VK Pearson, trying to replace the fan, and seem to have had 3 phase cable going to the old fan. Pardon my ignorance, but I thought the Red, Blue and Yellow were all live, I couldn't work out where the neutral was ??? many thanks

Thank you, will go try that now. My husband will be surprised with my handy work!! Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back